Tuesday, July 23, 2013

It has been a long time!

I have not posted here because I had not turned pens for a few years. This spring a I did a few and realized how much I enjoyed it. Most of the pictures are over on my Facebook in an Album there.
I did start something new this week so I wanted to post a few pictures.  New is the art of making my own acrylic pen blanks out of polyester resin. In this case it is Castin' Craft Clear. The colors are coming from Pearl Ex pigments.
My first pour had a disaster right away because the cork came out of the tube and I spilled about half of the resin before I got the cork back in!

Here are a couple of shots of the tubes poured full of colored resin.

 These red and blue blanks are from the first pour. They look dull to me but will probably turn out ok.
 These are blue and light gold (probably needed more pigment) but they look very nice so it is a good combination of colors.

This spring I turned a number of Sierra type pens and also discovered Timberbits in Australia as a good source of blanks and kits. The prices are very good.

Here are some of the spring pics.
The woods are some of my own local and some I have purchased from others.


 Not every blank turns out well!

I will do a little story on the acrylic blank making soon.

Until next time!
Clayton


No comments: